Re: [SI-LIST] : Can you implement TDR with pulse functions

From: Steve Corey ([email protected])
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 19:16:25 PDT

James,

The theoretical answer is yes, with some post-processing of data and
circuit-design work to come up with some good trigger circuitry.

In practice it turns into a research project, since measurement of a signal
which contains measurable frequency content up to 500 GHz (!) is not trivial.
Not to mention fixturing for measurements. If your system risetimes are greater
than 100ps, I personally think you're better off using one of the off-the-shelf
30-50ps TDR instruments.

I have heard of few-picosecond TDR-like research efforts going on in academic
institutions, although I don't have any papers handy to recommend.

Lyke James wrote:

> I may be able to gain access to a sub-picosecond pulse
> source, but it can only generate spikes instead of step
> functions. Is it possible to harness this feature as a
> TDR approach?
>
> jim

Steven D. Corey, Ph.D.
Time Domain Analysis Systems, Inc.