[SI-LIST] : Single-stripline traces with a plane cut

From: Eric Goodill ([email protected])
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 12:50:49 PDT

Hi,

I came across a board having this construction recently, and I'm not
sure what the effects would be. I thought some of you might have some
insight.

A piece of the single-stripline stackup as shown below.

========= plane (GND)

  --- signal

========= plane (GND)

========= plane (power)

  --- signal

========= plane (GND)

Some of the planes are power planes and some are ground. All ground
planes are continuous, but the VCC planes are carved up into different
voltage domains (there are about five different voltage domains). The
signal is symmetrically placed between its two planes.

Many signals cross the power-plane cuts, but the ground plane is always
continuous. Since the ground plane is continuous, how bad is this? The
highest-speed signals are 133 MHz for a L2 cache SRAM bus.

Regards, Eric

--
Eric Goodill                    Redback Networks
[email protected]               350 Holger Way