[SI-LIST] : on-chip capacitance & core noise

From: David Chengson ([email protected])
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 11:59:35 PDT

Does anyone have some approximate numbers for
the amount of on-chip capacitance that has been explicitly
added to large commercial or non-commercial chips?

I'm looking for data as it relates to explicit on-chip
capacitance to reduce core noise.

As an example, I heard at one point that the DEC Alpha chips
in the mid 90's used on the order of 50nF of explicit
capacitance for its core logic.

If there is data on the order of magnitude
amount of capacitance used on Sun, MIPs, Intel, Motorola, IBM
uPs, or other large VLSI chips, I would greatly appreciate
hearing about it.

Thanks
Dave Chengson Juniper Networks www.juniper.net
[email protected] W: (408)745-8189 FAX 408 745-8905