RE: [SI-LIST] : reaction on Larry Smith's thin dielectrics

From: Tsuk, Michael ([email protected])
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 10:06:05 PDT

Larry Smith wrote:

"Jan - thanks for your comments. At the frequencies that we are
concerned with, I believe skin effect dominates the losses. If we were
to change the conductivity of the planes, we would change the skin
depth and the frequency where the onset of skin effect occurs.

I decreased the conductivity of the planes in our simulator from 5.8e7
to 5.8e6 (1/10 the conductivity) and saw some reduction in the plane
resonances. But a major reduction in conductivity was required to see
much effect."

This makes sense. The skin effect resistance of the planes will only
increase as one over the square root of the conductivity since the skin
depth will increase as the conductivity decreases.

--
Michael Tsuk
Compaq AlphaServer Platform Group