RE: [SI-LIST] : Upper limit of interplane capacitance

From: Larry Smith ([email protected])
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 14:37:06 PDT

Erik Daniel sent me the attached note, but I am not sure that it went
to the rest of the si-list. With his permission, I am passing it
along.

He correctly points out that I missed a sqrt(L) in a calculation, and
so dielectric loss is independent of dielectric thickness.

So, of the two terms in the alpha equation, only the skin effect term
increases as we reduce the dielectric thickness. The dielectric loss
still contributes to the total loss of alpha, but it is independent of
geometry.

In the simulation shown earlier today, the reduction of cavity
resonance as we reduce the dielectric thickness is due entirely to the
skin effect term.

regards,
Larry Smith,
Sun Microsystems