RE: [SI-LIST] : Upper limit of interplane capacitance

From: Daniel, Erik S. ([email protected])
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 11:34:54 PDT

Larry-

I agree with most of your comments on power plane capacitance, but I have to
disagree with one point -- dielectric loss does NOT decrease with decreased
thickness of the dielectric -- dielectric loss is independent of the
dielectric thickness in particular, and all geometrical concerns in general
(unlike skin-effect loss).

You point out that

   alpha = R/2*Z0 + G*Z0/2
   G = tan(delta)*omega*C

arguing that, G~C, Z0~1/sqrt(C) , so G*Z0/2 ~ sqrt(C), so reducing the
dielectric thickness increases C which increases G*Z0/2 and hence alpha.
All true except for the very last part of the statement. Reducing the
dielectric thickness also decreases L and Z0~sqrt(L). It turns out that
this cancels the contribution from the sqrt(C) factor.

To see this more clearly, I prefer to write G as follows:

   G = tan(delta)*omega / (prop velocity * Z0)
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                             = 1/C
     = tan(delta)*omega*sqrt(e)/(c*Z0)

where e is the dielectric constant (real part), c is the speed of light in
vacuum, Z0 is the characteristic impedance. Using this expression, it is
clear that G*Z0 is independent of geometry. Yes, this treatment is a bit
suspect because it relies on transmission line notation when really
referring to power planes, but I maintain that dielectric loss is generally
geometry independent, unlike skin-effect loss in the surrounding conductors.

                                        - Erik

Erik Daniel, Ph.D. Mayo Foundation
Voice: (507) 284-1634 Guggenheim 1011B
Fax: (507) 284-9171 200 First Street SW
E-mail: [email protected] Rochester, MN 55905