Re: [SI-LIST] : pcb plane cap and mixed bypass cap value....

From: Larry Smith ([email protected])
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 13:18:41 PDT

Chris - you have some good comments below. One particularly important
concept is dividing up decoupling into two areas: core and IO. They
are very different beasts.

Core power tends to be higher than IO power (50 core watts compared to
less than 5 IO watts for some processors). The lumped inductance for
the core package mounted on power planes is likely to be 100 pH. That
inductance limits the current that goes in or out of the package at a
given frequency:

        frequency impedance of 100 pH
        --------- -------------------
         10 MHz 6.28 mOhm
         30 MHz 18.8 mOhm
        100 MHz 62.8 mOhm
        300 MHz 188 mOhm
          1 GHz 620 mOhm

One could argue that there is no point in having a PCB power plane
impedance significantly less than the above table. The on-chip
capacitance must satisfy the current needs of the circuits because the
package inductance stands between the circuits and the PCB. As we
drive the mounted inductance of the uP core down, we will need to have
a corresponding reduction in PCB power plane impedance because the uP
core will be wanting to draw current from that low impedance.

Another reason to have low impedance on the core power planes is EMI.
Energy from the clock and clock harmonics are attenuated by the package
inductance but still make it out to the PCB. The PCB must be
sufficiently low in impedance at those frequencies to contain the EMI.

The IO circuitry does not draw as much power as core so the target
impedance is less, but the power planes must maintain the target
impedance to a much higher frequency. One half nSec edges have
frequency content to over 700 MHz (f=0.35/tRise).

For a microstrip line centered between a Vdd and Gnd plane, an equal
amount of return current is carried by the Vdd and Gnd plane,
regardless of the direction the signal switches or how it is hooked up
to a driver, receiver or termination. If the microstrip hits a via and
the signal moves to a new layer the return currents must be resolved.
Bounce on power planes is basically proportional to the return currents
and the impedance between the planes that carry the return currents.
In many cases, return currents must transfer from Vdd planes to Gnd
planes.

That is why low impedance is required between any power planes that
carry signal return currents. Edges will be distorted and timing and
eye diagrams will be affected if there is not sufficiently low
decoupling impedance between planes. This is especially important near
a uP or major ASIC that has many simultaneously switching IO.

regards,
Larry Smith
Sun Microsystems