RE: [SI-LIST] : Upper limit of interplane capacitance

From: Larry Smith ([email protected])
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 09:44:36 PDT

Larry - thanks for your comments.

Discrete decoupling capacitors run out of gas at about 500 MHz. We
have managed to reduce the mounting inductance for 0603 size capacitors
to 300 pH. If we assume 200 pH for the internal capacitance of the
capacitors, we have a total of 500 pH which is 942 mOhms at 500 MHz.
Discrete capacitors are not doing much good.

You can use the series resonant frequency and low ESR capacitors to
drive towards a low impedance at 500 MHz. But using the formula f0 =
1/(2pi*sqrt(LC)), the capacitance required to hit 500 MHz with 500 pH
ESL is about 200 pF. We get 225 pF for every square inch of power
planes (4 mil dielectric, FR4), so unless we are going to use more than
one discrete capacitor every square inch, they will not be of much use.

A far better solution is to get the low impedance from the power
planes. Using FR4 BC technology from Hadco (2 mils) we get 450 pF per
square inch. Dupont, 3M and other materials vendors are beginning to
advertise 1 mil dielectric cores that are compatible with PCB
manufacture. That brings us up to 900 pF per square inch. We are
beginning to get away from straight FR4 technology, but this is where
our industry needs to go if low impedance power distribution is
required at high frequency. If this thin dielectric has some high K
material in it, so much the better.

But almost more importantly, the thin dielectric material has low
spreading inductance. High capacitance and low inductance results in
lower impedance power planes and that is very good. There is no point
in putting a bunch of low impedance decoupling capacitors on a PCB if
you don't have low impedance power planes to hook them up.

The skin effect losses (alpha of a transmission line) go as
Rskin/2*Z0. Istvan Novak (Sun) has demonstrated how low impedance
power planes naturally damp out the cavity resonances because of skin
effect losses as the dielectric thickness drops to a fraction of a mil.
At more than 1 GHz, dielectric loss also contributes to the damping.
In this case, loss is a good thing.

So, the solution to low impedance power distribution above several
hundred MHz lies in thin dielectric power plane technology. This is
much more effective than discrete decoupling capacitors. (But Discretes
are not going to go away because they will be required at frequencies
below several hundred MHz.) With the attenuation from thin dielectric
power planes, the size of the planes (6x6 inches) becomes of minor
importance. I would not advocate carving up power planes, that only
leads to other problems.

regards,
Larry Smith
Sun Microsystems