RE: [SI-LIST] : Upper limit of interplane capacitance

From: Larry Miller ([email protected])
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 06:57:52 PDT

I think you are right.

For garden-variety boards we see buried capacitance and ground planes start
to give out (i.e., impedance starts to increase) at about 600-ish MHz when
you measure them on a network analyzer. The measurement referred to is
driving one point on a board, say near where the DC supplies connect, and
measuring on another point some distance away. This is not to say the board
does not work above this range. At somewhere in the 2 to 4 GHz range the
dielectric losses for FR-4 start to get very bad as well.

Somehwere in this range you have to start treating things like what they
are-- microwave structures.

Larry Miller