Re: [SI-LIST] : Bypassing of large fpga's

From: Barry Ma ([email protected])
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 15:44:32 PDT

Thanks Mitch.

Bill,

We don't know what is the highest frequency your project has to treat. If you guys "Thought about buried capacitance", it seems that you wanted to use interplane capacitance to deal with that frequency. There two techniques for plane cap:

(1) Standard Laminates. The plane spacing can be controlled to 4 - 10 mils.
(2) Buried Capacitance (BC). The spacing can reach to 2 mils.

If you are not ready for BC, you may consider the stackup of adjacent pwr/gnd planes to apply ordinary plane cap.

No matter what plane-cap technique you apply, the number of bypass caps can be reduced, and you don't have to be anxious about the precious real estate on your PCB.

My 2 cents.

Regards,
Barry Ma
[email protected]