Re: [SI-LIST] : Bypassing of large fpga's

From: Mike Saunders ([email protected])
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 07:06:25 PDT

Bill,

I usually choose ~66% of the number of power pins for the number of caps to
use for large BGAs (~450 balls), and this seems to be quite effective. On
the 0508's, whatch out for mechanical weaknesses. Otherwise, the low ESL
can help reduce part count. Another option would be to route the board
1:1, then empirically determine exactly how many caps are truly needed on
the first spin, updating the design before production runs. Also, have you
considered swapping the power planes in your stackup w/ two of the grounds?
 Since components are placed on top (and maybe bottom), significant amounts
of bus routing will be on ustrip layers. I've always found that it's
better to reference a solid ground plane rather than a power plane, since
this tends to inject less noise into your power rails. I would especially
consider this if your power planes are split. Just my $0.02.

--Mike

At 08:15 PM 6/1/2000 -0400, you wrote:

>I'm currently placing a board with many tightly spaced 676 pin Xilinx BGA's
>(XCV600's). Per Xilinx they are claiming one bypass for each power pin, which
>adds up to about 76 caps. This eats huge amounts of via sites for routing.
We're