RE: [SI-LIST] : RE: Split Plane

From: Doug Brooks ([email protected])
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 10:45:58 PDT

My 2 cents worth:

I'm not sure there IS a derivation of the .35/Tr=BW equation.

Here is a different, simplistic, but intuitive way to look at it. Look at
the rise time of the fastest signal you have. It (closely) resembles the
rise time of a sine wave. Superimpose a sine wave over that rise time so
that the rising edges are congruent. The frequency of a sine wave that has
the same rise time as the rise time of your signal is approximately
.3/Tr. (That is because the rise time of a sine wave is approximately 30%
of its period!) That is the maximum frequency you need to be able to pass
in order to pass the rise time of your signal.

Hence, BW is (approx) .3/Tr,
sometimes expressed as .35/Tr
other times expresser as 1/Pi*Tr (Pi = 3.14159...)
and then sometimes approximated by other ratios close to these, perhaps
allowing for a fudge factor.

Doug Brooks

.