[SI-LIST] : Re: Split Plane

From: Barry Ma ([email protected])
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 14:51:28 PDT

Chas,

Thanks for the information.

If it is related to a scope, please allow me to make a guess below.

What kind of scope should be used to measure a digital signal with rise time Tr?
Your 0.3/Tr might suggest that the upper limit of frequency bandwidth for a candidate scope be no less than 0.3/Tr. Vise versa, we can know what Tr signal can be well observed using a given scope.

If my guess were true, it would be interesting to put your 0.3/Tr and "Knee Frequency" together,
Fknee = 0.5/Tr (see Howard Johnson's book). They both might imply that the waveform of a digital signal could remain unchanged even if all frequencies > 0.5/Tr in the spectrum are neglected. And, on the other hand, we should take good care of all frequencies < 0.3/Tr.

Regards,
Barry Ma
[email protected]