Re: [SI-LIST] : SI simulation issue for open-drain device

From: Scott McMorrow ([email protected])
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 10:08:19 PDT

Actually the model is correct. Most likely it is being used incorrectly
in the simulator.

The PIII processor uses AGTL+ (assisted GTL+) driver. The assisted
part is a p-channel "kicker" stage to help rising edge performance.
Since the bus is "open-collector" in principal this output stage is
designed to emulate open collector behavior after the first cycle.
The p-channel driver is fired on the first cycle of a multicycle burst
and is then disable. This is the behavior which should be
replicated in the [Driver Schedule] Section of the IBIS model.

Since this is and IBIS 3.2 feature and not all simulators can
use Version 3.2 models with the Driver Schedule section, the
IBIS model must support version 2.1 simulators also, for backwards
compatability. As a result, the main body of the model indicates
that it is open collector. This is correct, since it is the closest
IBIS 2.1 approximation to the actual behavior of this buffer. The
Driver Schedule section is just ignored.

However, with an IBIS 3.2 capable simulator the Driver Schedule
section for the p-channel will provide the proper control of the
output, turning it on at the beginning of the cycle and then
turning it off 10 ns later for a 100 MHz bus (or 7.5ns later for
a 133 MHz bus). This may not be well documented in the
model or in the Intel literature. Basically the buffer should turn
off at the end of one full clock cycle.

Most likely the turn off delay in the model is incorrect for the
bus speed you are simulating, or the simulator is incorrectly
using this model.

best regards,

scott

--