RE: [SI-LIST] : SI simulation issue for open-drain device

From: ARNOLD,PETER (HP-Cupertino,ex3) ([email protected])
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 09:29:04 PDT

Smith,

1) AGTL+ ("Assisted" Gunning Transceiver Logic) in fact has an active PMOS
device pulling up as the output transitions from Low->High state. This
device turns off after a few nanoseconds and the output reverts to open
drain configuration.

2) Here is how I think about the overshoot seen at the driver on open-drain
L->H transitions. Consider a driver pulling a long o/d line low. After
everything settles, a standing current is flowing from the net's pullup
resistor(s), through the driver's source resistance and then to ground. Now
imagine that driver turns off instantaneously. The current keeps coming from
the net but cannot go through the FET any more so is reflected back the way
it came, into the transmission line. This results in a voltage V = I x Z0
added to the existing low-level voltage that was on the line before. For a
50 ohm net with 25 ohm pullup and a driver source resistance of 12 ohms, the
added pulse would reach over 2V as about 40mA of steady-state current
reflects back into the 50-ohm line.

Of course the driver doesn't turn off instantly in real life and there may
be clamping so the effect is mitigated. Adding a PMOS pullup FET as in AGTL+
serves to lower the reflection, since the initial "off" condition at the
driver becomes not an open-circuit but some low resistance to 1.5V. This
lowers the reflection coefficient from +1 closer to 0, but it doesn't cut in
right away (see driver-schedule activation delay.)

Try commenting any clamp diodes out of the model. They may not be effective
on short time-scales.

peter arnold.

=========