[SI-LIST] : SI simulation issue for open-drain device

From: ´^¤lªY ([email protected])
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 22:28:30 PDT

Dear SI gurus:
     Recently, we found one very strange, but interesting thing, i.e. we
used some open-drain devices for AGTL+ signal integrity simulation, but we
got such surprising phenomena between simulation and measurement. So here,
we'd like to ask your great help to clarify and solve our questions on
open-drain feature (Please see my below questions in detail.), and how to
define its IBIS model exactly and properly.
(1) From our understanding about open-drain concept, it's in high-Z stage
for P-MOS when L->H transition, meanwhile, it also uses pull-up voltage to
drive out. My question is does it really stay "High-Z" stage and no current
go through its "power-clamp" diode??
(2) From our measurement result, we get an obvious rignback after rising
edge for open-drain device. But we don't get this from our simulation tool.
So we check our open-drain model and find that it defines "L->H" V/I curve
for P-MOS, not using "High-Z" definition. So we modify it as "High-Z"
condition and obtain the similar result to measurement after re-simulating.
We also check Intel's models, such as CPU model which also defines "L->H"
V/I curve for P-MOS. Do you think which one is right, the "High-Z" or
existing "L->H" V/I curve for P-MOS?? Why?? Does any one know why the IBIS
model defines the "L->H" V/I curve instead of "High-Z" for open-drain device
with "Driver Schedule" keyword, at least Intel did it in their models.
(PS. Intel uses "Driver Schedule" keyword in IBIS model in order to let
P-MOS turn on/off by a little bit timing delay. But I don't understand why
its P-MOS has V/I curve for "Driver Schedule", but "High-Z" for general
open-drain definition??)

Best regards
Smith Peng
Email: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
Tel: 886-3-3900000 ext. 2152

___K__.gi