[SI-LIST] : RE: Charge moving from decoupling capacitors

From: Barry Ma ([email protected])
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 10:22:14 PDT

George,

I am impressed by your attitude to pursue the correctness, and glad to discuss with you further on �How does a decoupling capacitor support an IC?�

Here is my two cents worth. The decap supplies necessary charge to the IC during Tr through a transmission line. As you mentioned before: �The current is an impulse function, although the voltage waveform is a step function.� This impulse function, actually a bell-like function on Tr, happens every time period T when the IC gate switches from low to high. The corresponding frequency spectrum contains lots of frequencies. There must be some frequencies making the transmission line a 1/4, 3/4, ... wavelength. It is hard for me to be convinced that currents of those frequencies cannot flow from the decap to the IC. ... Pleas correct me if misunderstood. Thanks.

Regards,
Barry Ma
[email protected]

--------