[SI-LIST] : re: Split Plane

From: Barry Ma ([email protected])
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 17:26:58 PDT

Brad,

Here is my two cents worth:
Did you consider exchanging 7 and 8 for more capacitance between 5V and gnd planes? Suppose you have 10 mil or less plane spacing. I understand that you want to use a gnd plane as return plane for signals on layer 9. But it�s OK to use 3.3V plane as return plane. The plane cap would work well to let return signals go from 3.3V plane back to gnd pins on layer 9.

It�s also OK using part of 5V plane as additional 3V area. You�d better stitch up the gap.

Regards,
Barry Ma
[email protected]
-------------
From: "Brad Crowell" <[email protected]>, on 5/19/00 2:04 PM:

I have been lurking in the shadows of the SI list for some time now, but
have come across a situation that I could use some advice on:

I am working on a board design that is using the following stackup:

1 - SIGNAL
2 - GROUND
3 - SIGNAL
4 - SIGNAL
5 - GROUND
6 - 5V PLANE
7 - 3.3V PLANE
8 - GROUND
9 - SIGNAL
10- SIGNAL
11- GROUND
12- SIGNAL

My problem is that we are running out of routing resources. Thus,
it has been suggested that a few traces could be routed on layer 6,
the 5v plane. The intent would be to route some traces for the 3.3v
devices which are located away from the 5v devices on the board. This
would reduce the effect of any splits in the plane. Also, since there
is a ground plane available as a reference for every signal layer,
a split in a supply plane shouldn't have much effect, if any. I am
inclined to think, with my limited SI experience, that this should
be ok, but would appreciate comments from some of the experts.

Thanks,
Brad
Brad Crowell
Hardware Designer