Re: [SI-LIST] : Re: Charge moving from decoupling capacitors

From: Yu Wang ([email protected])
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 07:45:51 PDT

Hi, Barry,
I think we all do agree the 1st point you said.
But on the 2nd point, I have another opinion. Say, you
are right,"When an electrical potential imbalance
happens in a metallic plane, a current would flow on
the plane for regaining the equi-potential."
But we regard the metallic plane as a reference plane,
then, theoretically, there is no an electrical
potential imbalance happens in a metallic plane. In
fact, we can never get a ideal reference plane(even
the earth is not IDEAL). Based on this, I would say
"yes" on your question "Does it need EM field support
from the dielectric?". Still but, the need of the
support is usually slight if the electical size of the
metallic plane is big enough. because we know the
metallic plane is a equi-potential plane.

regards,
Yu Wang

=====
Yu Wang, Ph.D