RE: [SI-LIST] : Piecing together IBIS models

From: Zabinski, Patrick J. ([email protected])
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 13:36:05 PDT

Kim,

I've done this exact thing several times. However, when doing
so, I do my best to verify a few things:

        * Same *exact* package
        * Same I/O family
        * Same fabrication facility and process

Under these conditions, I've used models from one part in
a family for another part in the same family.

I've been told there are several reasons for being cautious:

        * some parts have different package parasitics
        within the same package, so you need to be sure
        you're using the right parasitics

        * if you're trying to model a relatively new
        part within a family (say, based on 0.18 um CMOS)
        buy only have IBIS models for a relative old
        part (say, 0.25 or 0.35 um CMOS), the two do
        not correlate well

        * some vendors don't like to release, support, or
        even suggest using models that haven't been put
        through the ringer (which I believe is the
        correct default approach; although some common-
        sense should prevail if you're dealing with the
        engineering side of the house)

        * several parts (e.g., FPGAs) have different styles
        of packages within a given family, so the package
        models will likely be off

Given the choice of no (zero) model versus an approximate
model, I generally use the approximation.

Pat