Re: [SI-LIST] : Trace Impedance Selection

From: Neven Pischl ([email protected])
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 16:52:22 PDT

Vinu,

free space can be modeled as a transmission line only to take advantage of
the mathematical analogy which makes possible to describe E and H field
propagation using the same expression as for V and I in the transmission
line. And in cases such as plane-wave propagation through free space, it is
only ONE t-line that can mathematically describe it, not a network of
multiple t-lines.

But it is not possible to mix/combine these two, i.e. connecting a "current
and voltage" carrying t-line such as a stripline in parallel to such an
imaginary t-line such as free-space. It is same as the case of sound
propagation through a medium, where again the propagation can be described
using the same expressions, but you can't add such a "sound-carrying
transmission line" in parallel to a stripline.

I think that much of the confusion (my perception) comes from the original
question, which was which characteristic impedance would work best for EMI.
The characteristic impedance of a trace is a result of the geometry, and the
radiation is also a function of the geometry. But the radiation is not
directly related to the characteristic impedance, which Mary pointed. In
addition, I guess that the far-field radiation of a single trace was meant
in the original question. In that case, it does not matter whether the
source is more of "low-impedance" meaning "mostly" current in the traces, or
high-impedance, meaning mostly voltage. It is only the radiated power that
matters, and the same far-field levels can be obtained with either current
or voltage drives. What I mean is that you can have the same far field
levels originating from a loop or from a dipole or monopole (even if they
are electrically short).

That is different from crosstalk on the PCBs, when in the most practical
cases due to proximity and parallelism of the traces, we have mostly
inductive coupling caused by the currents. If we look at the indirect
radiation caused by coupling on the board first and then radiating, perhaps
by some more efficient radiator (e.g. longer trace), than the current-caused
inductive coupling may play a significant role, and it is the current that
matters most, not the voltage, and as well-known, reducing the current will
reduce EMI. It is not the same as saying that increasing the characteristic
impedance will reduce EMI. You may increase the impedance by rising a trace
higher, which in turn may cause more EMI if you happened to build a more
efficient antenna. As long as the size of such a trace is electrically
small, it is guaranteed that you will increase radiation by doing so, by
both direct radiation and indirect radiation due to coupling. I believe that
at higher frequencies, above the first resonance, anything can happen, and
you may actually also decrease EMI (which by no means should be hoped for
:).

What really matters in reducing EMI is to build very inefficient antennas,
by keeping them (the traces) close to the reference planes - thus reducing
the loop area and crosstalk as well, by assuring that the return currents
flow adjacent to the traces, by keeping them short .... For a given drive
voltage, the power available to drive the antenna (trace) and cause EMI and
crosstalk should be minimized, which leads to reducing the current. Any
answer to the question about which characteristic impedance is better for
EMI must be viewed from such a larger angle, because otherwise it can not be
answered.

Sorry for taking up much space, I actually only wanted to answer to your
question but I got carried away :)

Neven