RE: [SI-LIST] : Trace Impedance Selection

From: Ron Miller ([email protected])
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 13:56:15 PDT

TO: Don [email protected]

In discussing EMI the following conversation came up.

Can you shed some light on this discussion?

Ron Miller

One of my thoughts below:

IMPEDANCE OF FREE SPACE VS HEIGHT NOT CONSTANT

I have seen dipole antenna impedances versus height above the ground
which go from zero ohms at ground level to about 400 ohms at 1/4 wavelength
and back again to low impedance(~50 ohms) at 2/4, and 400 again at 3/4 and
ripple like that with height until they meet an assymptote at 377 ohms.

From these impedance graphs I surmise that the near field impedance
requires a more complex model which would probably come from transmission
line equations. For our EMI case these equations would likely take the form
of
a coupling structure to the 377 ohms of free space.