Re: [SI-LIST] : Trace Impedance Selection

From: S. Weir ([email protected])
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 15:42:09 PDT

Actually, wouldn't a 377 ohm T-line by definition be ONLY the connection
formed by free space? Any T-line concentrates the flux density, and
therefore reduces the impedance from the free-space limit. How does one
get a 400 ohm impedance? Has someone invented "anti-waves"?

Maybe Mary's point is that if we construct a piece of coax with a REALLY
big diameter and very low dielectric coefficient core, then we could get a
pretty high impedance. However, I think that from a practical
standpoint, this just reinforces Vinu's point, the higher the impedance of
a T-line, the less concentrated the fields, and therefore for any fixed and
small local volume the more energy that exists outside that volume. If we
use higher impedance T-lines, then from an external EMI standpoint we are
more dependent on making sure that secondary shielding contains the fields,
( the box ), as would the shield in our really big coax. In a PCB
environment that fixed and small local volume is the volume around one
T-line but not surrounding any adjacent T-lines. So, we should expect that
higher impedance lines require more physical separation to maintain
a given percentage crosstalk than lower impedance lines, assuming that in
each case we do not have driving, or terminating problems.

The funny thing about Doug's first query is that only asked whether there
is a specific EMI side effect to one impedance or another. There have been
a lot of good responses pointing-out that practical choice of an
appropriate impedance entails several other factors.

Regards,

Steve.