FW: [SI-LIST] : Trace Impedance Selection

From: Moran, Brian P ([email protected])
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 12:33:54 PDT

Doug,

The selection of characteristic impedance effects the capacitance per unit
length of the trace. Forgetting about board geometries constarints, driver
impedance
issues, and crosstalk coefficients, the problem with too high a value is
that the capacitance per unit length gets very low. This means that
non-uniformly distributed vias and loads create impedance discontinuities
which in turn produce reflections. Reflections create EMI radiation.

Brian P. Moran
Intel Corporation, FM6-45
1900 Praire City Road
Folsom, CA 95630