Re: [SI-LIST] : ATA source termination

From: Chuck Hill ([email protected])
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 11:31:48 PDT

Dennis,

Perhaps I can clarify this. On the source (driving) end, it is necessary
to provide some series resistance to dampen ringing that occurs after the
driver has switched. The on resistance of the device and the series
resistor combine to provide this damping. The ATA spec calls for this
resistive damping to be 1.0 times the characteristic impedance of the
line--my opinion is the ideal value is slightly less than that since the
ringing can still be well controlled and risetime slightly faster (LC model
instead of distributed transmission line, we are in an in-between frequency
range). Typical drivers have 10-20 ohms of ON resistance so series
resistors should be 33 to 47ohms. Higher resistance values make it harder
to achieve good DC margin on the low level (0.8v).

The 82 ohms apply to those lines which are input only. Even CMOS inputs
have some series resistance along with the capacitance. This combined
resistance on the input should be near the line impedance.

Remember, this is not a precision system. There is a lot of tolerance
allowed for. When adjusting components, look for good edge speed and not
too much ringing and crosstalk and reflection noise which gets closer to
switching thresholds.

Chuck Hill, consultant