RE: [SI-LIST] : Contact resistance?

From: Matt Kaufmann ([email protected])
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 11:16:12 PDT

The contact resistance will also vary greatly with the applied pressure
between the two contacts. A secondary effect is that the thermal
distribution across the junction can cause the contacting materials to
deform (due to thermal strains) which will affect the contact area.
Actually, it is a coupled thermal/mechanical problem since the contact area
and pressure affects the temperature distribution which then affects the
contact area and so on...

For the 1st order affect (pressure), there is an analytical relation between
pressure and contact resistance (you would need to know the
roughness/asperity of the contact surfaces.

This was part of my MS thesis so if you want some references, I can clear
away the cobwebs and get you some good ones. I didn't really look at the
effects of voltage/current - I focused more on the heat flux passing through
the junction.

-Matt

Matt Kaufmann
Senior Packaging Engineer