Re: [SI-LIST] : Differential TDR "Measurements"

From: Bob Lewandowski ([email protected])
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 12:32:06 PDT

I think Mike's p.s. needs to be capitalized and put up front. If they only make
a single measurement of each line and not the second which shows the coupling
effect of one line on the other, the math won't yield the correct answer.
Differential TDR is a 2 port measurement which must include the cross terms. A
single measurement of each line only works if they are totally isolated like two
coaxes. The time alignment is also a very big issue in this measurement, and
probably the biggest reason to use method 1, because cable and connector delay
mis-matches can be adjusted out within the instrument. Something that is
extremely difficult to get right with method 2. The 1-2 vs 2-1 business can be
an issue if there is magnetic material involved with the t-lines. (Not likely)
Comparing the results can provide a check on the time delay alignment.

---Bob Lewandowski
    Vixel Corp.