RE: [SI-LIST] : 20-H Rule and Self-Resonant Frequency of Power Planes

From: Chris Rokusek ([email protected])
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 16:37:58 PDT

Mike,

I have a additional question limited only to the first "FIRST" mechanism you
described below--where fringing (NEAR) fields are less "bloated" when using
20-H Rule:

Do you know if the fringing (NEAR) fields in a board NOT using 20H can
radiate DIRECTLY into the far field significantly given typical excitation
(say <500mv up to 1GHz) or must these NEAR fringing fields couple onto a
more efficient far field radiator first?

As the planes move further apart from each other I expect the "far field
direct radiation" to increase but I'm curious that if planes are very
closely spaced that it is possible to radiate directly.

(Of course this question is moot since there's ALWAYS something to couple
to.)

Best Regards,

Chris Rokusek
Innoveda