RE: [SI-LIST] : 20-H Rule and Self-Resonant Frequency of Power Pl anes

From: Nadolny, Jim ([email protected])
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 11:05:34 PDT

I agree with Mary.

I have worked as an EMI professional for the past 15 years and have
conducted some research with universities on EMI associated with backplane
connectors. This is not to say I can solve or totally understand every EMI
problem but I have been around this stuff for a while.

Now maybe I am off base here but I have always viewed the 20H rule as a
means to minimize the efficiency of a patch antenna. The electric field
between Vcc and ground at resonance looks dipole-ish and can be a low
efficiency patch. This was always the justification for stitching the edge
of PCBs with vias or edge plating. I am not saying that the 20H rule works
to decrease the efficiency of the radiating structure, I just figured this
would be the base analysis approach.

This deal with altering the transmission line resonance, I don't know. It
seems to me that the parallel plate transmission line (Vcc & gnd) is
terminated with an open whether you follow the 20H rule or not.

Lastly, if one can't describe an effect succinctly it typically is not very
well understood.

Jim Nadolny