RE: [SI-LIST] : anybody fielding newbie questions??

From: Peters, Stephen ([email protected])
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 13:52:06 PDT

Hello Miker:

  I'll take a shot at answering. A board with an odd number of layers
is difficult to manufacture. Basically, to do this means removing
all the copper from one side of a fiberglass panel, thus leading to
warping due to unequal thermal expansion. I suggest a ten layer
stackup as follows:

1. signal
2. GND
3. signal
4. signal
5. PWR (+5)
6. GND
7. signal
8. signal
9. PWR (-15)
10. signal

  With this stackup the adjacent PWR/GND layers (5 and 6) form a
relativly good decoupling cap. Route any signal referenced to the
-15v on layers 8 and 9.

  Regards,
  Stephen Peters
  Intel Corp.