Re: [SI-LIST] : Bulk Caps -> Inductor? -> Plane

From: sweir ([email protected])
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 17:33:32 PDT

Matt,

The power supply appears to be a flyback topology. The switching current
rides directly on top of the ESR, and ramps on the ESL of the output filter
capacitors. Unless the design can tolerate nasty switching spikes a
secondary filter such as shown is common. Assuming that the diode ratings
are indicative of the output current, even a very good pair 47uF capacitor
will have an ESR in the of 100 milliohms +. At multiple amperes output
current times, there will be 100's of millivolts riding on top of the bulk
filter visible in the GIF file.

The designer must understand the filter requirements, and both pick L202,
and the plane side capacitors appropriately. It is also necessary for the
designer to insure that the filter is properly damped.

Regards,

Steve.