RE: [SI-LIST] : Bulk Caps -> Inductor? -> Plane

From: mjs ([email protected])
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 15:01:06 PDT

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Joel Jorgenson wrote:

> I have seen a lot of ferrites used in this manner to act as a common
> mode choke. Is that the intent?

I believe so. The SMPS designs we use can be noisy. This main board
previously used a power brick, and the series L's were present then.

Now our in-house discreet PS is going on and the L's need to be
positioned outside the PS feedback loop. Which is why they are located
where they are.

I'm just not accustomed to seeing additional impedance in the main
path of the power subsystem. Scarier yet is that the inductor/ferrite
value is 'TBD'. I suppose if the inductors impedance is low out to
slightly past the frequecy at which the PS can deliver energy then
things should be fine.

Matt