RE: [SI-LIST] : via capacitance

From: Ron Miller ([email protected])
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 13:40:27 PDT

Hi Ritchey]
The capacitance can be as low as what you say, but it can be much worse.

In the microwave business where we are dealing with single layers of
dielectric or a couple
in the case of stripline, vias are typically modeled as inductors, which
they appear to be.

With multilayer PCB the capacitance becomes the dominating factor with the
plate structure
being primarily between the outside of the antipads on power and ground
layers and the pads
attached to the signal via on the unused layers. These unused pads can be
easily removed on a global
asis in Alegro and other layout tools. However, often they are not and the
excess capacitance can cause
impedances to go down to about 35 ohms on a TDR. Also, vias can have
open-stub effect which adds
more capacitance at microwave frequencys.

SO ??

  0.3pf is not the worst case. It is probably the best case if the traces,
vias, pads and antipads
are all done well

Also, it looks like you laid your boards out well.

Ron Miller

        [Ron Miller]