Re: [SI-LIST] : Decoupling strategy on 622MHz devices

From: D. C. Sessions ([email protected])
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 17:49:46 PDT

Steeve Gaudreault wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need a breakout strategy for the ASICs (BGA 383pins)
> that we have on the board. They all have lot 622MHz I/F.
> Those ASICs have a separate VDBB for those 622MHz I/Os.
> We put decoupling caps inside the device close to the die,
> but we also need a strategy for the decoupling on the board.
> At those frequencies/rise time (BTW rise time = 400ps), the
> effect of the parasitic becomes important when we do our
> decoupling strategy. I'd like to get some advice as for having
> decoupling between the ASIC and the board versus having the
> decoupling on the secondary side. I no for sure that manufacture
> won't like the first option but I'd like to get advises from the
> experts before I choose which way to go.

400 ps is nothing remarkable. All CMOS outputs from current technology
are in that range; if anything, 400ps is a bit slow.

The real issues are things you don't mention, such as whether you're
signaling differentially or single-ended, balanced or unbalanced codes,
shunt terminated or source-only, stuff like that.

D. C. Sessions