RE: [SI-LIST] : Field solver

From: Chris Cheng ([email protected])
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 15:32:04 PDT

not exactly free but linpar 2.0 is around $300 which
handles 2d structure just fine. if i have to setup
shop for highspeed design, i would add fasthenry from
mit to handle 3d inductance (runs great on linux with
800MHz PC's). 3d capacitance is a little tricky but so
far i haven't seen anything i cannot get away with
simple approximations like parallel plate capacitance
or 2d sectioning. $3k should get u up and running.
any other field solver will run u above $50k-$100k but
does very little more than the basic set. most of the
people who buy these fancy tools end up putting them
in the shelf anyways. mind as well same the money for
the department ferrari. :-)
chris