[SI-LIST] : Reflections on clock line

From: Bob Perlman ([email protected])
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 13:42:44 PDT

Hi -

You left out some important information, such as the type of driver
you're using and the impedance of the trace (I assume it's a fixed
impedance, but perhaps not). Even without that information, I
suspect you're experiencing two problems:

1) You're getting reflections from the unterminated end of the net.

2) The driver's output impedance is too high.

If the driver impedance is indeed too high, you have, in effect, a
series-terminated, daisy-chained clock net, a bad combination.
Even with a termination at the end of the line, you'll see voltage
plateaus for all but the last load.

Just to give you an idea of what a simulator would tell you about
such a net, I've run a Hyperlynx simulation with a 40-ohm driver and
a daisy-chained net with equally-spaced 6pf loads. (In my
simulation, the driver impedance is a pretty good match for the
loaded net impedance, so the load at the end of the net looks just
fine. If the driver impedance is made lower, you'll see some
overshoot/undershoot at the end load.)

There are at least two solutions:
 - use a stronger (i.e., lower-impedance) driver, and terminate at the
end of the net.
 - use series termination, and drive each load with its own driver. It
may actually be possible to drive multiple loads with each driver, as
long as all loads are at the end of the clock nets.

Want a more in-depth explanation? Go to my web site (see
signature below), where you'll find a paper and presentation on
series termination that address some of these issues in more
detail.

Good luck,
Bob Perlman