RE: [SI-LIST] : Field solver

From: Dan Swanson ([email protected])
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 04:52:27 PDT

Kim,

Many of the major vendors for solvers that have an interface
for RF users support workstations and PCs. HP can sell you
a planar solver or a 3D finite element solver. Ansoft supports
all their tools on both platforms.

I don't know of any open source tools. There is a little shareware
out there, but in general you get what you pay for, no interface and
no postprocessing.

I teach a survey class on what is available from the RF point
of view. I don't cover the tools that are slanted towards SI, not
the area I work in every day.

The gap is still closing between PC and workstation performance.
But I believe a good workstation is still 2 to 3 times faster than a
good PC. These tools suck up all the resources you can throw at
them. I prefer the UNIX boxes for stability, but end up doing a lot
under NT on my notebook or PC.

If you have questions on a specific tool I will help if I can.

Dan

Dan Swanson EMAIL: [email protected]
Bartley R.F. Systems TEL: (978) 241-1091
38 Water Street FAX: (978) 388-7077
Amesbury, MA 01913