Fw: [SI-LIST] : via capacitance

From: Jon Keeble ([email protected])
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 18:40:23 PST

Following advise from this list, for 10 layer boards I prefer the following
stackup:

LAYER1 TOP LAYER (CONDUCTOR)
LAYER2 VCC
LAYER3 GND
LAYER4 CONDUCTOR
LAYER5 CONDUCTOR
LAYER6 CONDUCTOR
LAYER7 CONDUCTOR
LAYER8 VCC
LAYER9 GND
LAYER10 BOTTOM LAYER (CONDUCTOR)

This puts the power planes close together (maxim distributed capacitance)
and close to the surface (minimum impedance between silicon and power
distribution).

I used to think that it was useful to minimise the inductance between the
bypass caps and the power planes. However, each capacitor has a low
impedance over a range of frequencies centered on its self resonance, and an
extra nH or two simply moves this range down. Recent work revealed in this
list shows that a number of different, close-spaced values can deliver a low
impedance over the full spectrum.

I don't think it matters which way round VCC and GND goes.

The middle routing layers can be routed at 0, 30,60,90 degrees to minimise
crosstalk.

Jon Keeble