Re: [SI-LIST] : Parallel Plate Capacitance for Bypass

From: [email protected]
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 07:36:15 PST

In a message dated 3/27/00 7:44:36 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< Scaling from 3 Ghz, down in frequency we get higher Xc, but the effective
 capacitive area goes up. The limits are that several devices will be sharing
 the same capacitance and the board has dimensional limits so we must
 add capacitances. Scaling up in frequency, the effective capacitance goes
 down but so does the Xc. >>
**********
Ron: You appear to have reversed the effect (with frequency) on the
capacitive reactance. Using the effective capacitance as determined by your
previously defined 1/4-wavelength circle, as frequency goes down, the radius
of the circle goes up linearly and the effective capacitance goes up as the
SQUARE of the radius. Xc, which is proportional to the reciprocal of the
product of frequency and capacitance, will be LOWER (not higher) as frequency
decreases. Hence, the reverse of what is stated in the quoted paragraph
applies.

Michael L. Conn
Owner/Principal Consultant
Mikon Consulting

*** Serving Your Needs with Technical Excellence ***