Re: [SI-LIST] : SI FAQ Proposal

From: D. C. Sessions ([email protected])
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 16:36:36 PST

Ray Anderson wrote:

> Mitch-
>
> I believe the original message said there had been a
> "few volunteers" so far, not that there were "so few volunteers".
>
> You are right, there are several sites online as you mentioned
> that address high-speed/SI issues and do a good job of it. The intention
> of the creation of a si-list FAQ is to produce a document for si-list
> subscribers (which will be available on-line too) to answer many of the
> Frequently Asked Questions that new SI people often pose. As you may
> have noticed, there are constantly recurring questions appearing on the
> si-list about certain basic (and not so basic) topics.
>
> So even though there are several sources already available on
> the net providing SI info (not all of which I agree with 100%), myself.
> Andrew Phillips, and some others who have already volunteered their
> services, see a need for one that addresses the issues from perhaps
> a slightly different perspective.
>
> In addition to providing "original content", the proposed FAQ
> will have pointers to the other fine sources that already exist. It's
> not a battle of the FAQ's by any means, just an effort to provide and
> share some information.....

The point of a FAQ isn't so much to be a tutorial as it is to avoid
rehashing the same issues over and over as new people join the list.
Thus, it _should_ be targeted at those issues which, for whatever
reason, keep coming back. (Can you say "20H Rule?")

Now if someone -- especially a senior list member -- would just make
up a short list of the topics most likely to come back from the grave...

> > From: [email protected]
> > Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:00:19 -0800
> > To: <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
> > Subject: Re: [SI-LIST] : SI FAQ Proposal
> >
> > Hi Ray (and everyone),
> >
> > It's funny you should look into this and say there is so few volunteers.
> > Seems Howard Johnson/Lee Ritchey/Doug Brooks are already available:
> >
> > http://www.signalintegrity.com - Howard Johnson, online
> > http://www.chipcenter.com/signalintegrity/main.html (sig int/hi-speed)
> > http://www.ultracad.com - Doug Brooks, online
> >
> > Lee Ritchey is available thru emails. If you don't have his email, or
> > don't know who he is, find out!
> >
> > Just thought I'd throw this on the pile. Seems there is much info
> > already available, we just need to find the people who know where it
> > is.
> >
> > :) Mitch

D. C. Sessions