[SI-LIST] : Toward better model data...

From: [email protected]
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 06:53:46 PST

[forked from "Bad IBIS Models!"]

A couple of years ago I was involved in a group of IBIS users who sat down
and tried to write a spec for the accuracy of IBIS datasheets (called IBIS
models by most folks). We were most interested in hardware vs. model
correlation rather than syntactical correctness and content. I think it
was a good piece of work and may be worth reviving, given the amount of
interest there seems to be in this topic. A few of us have chatted about
making the document more general to cover the syntactical issues and SPICE
models as well. I personally see this moving away from a spec and more
into the realm of a modeling handbook for the purpose of technical
communication between model vendors and model users.

I would request that anyone who thinks they might have a use for such a
document contact me privately (so as not to clutter up the reflector). If
I get enough responses, that will motivate me to spend some more evenings
in the basement at the computer.

For what it's worth, this whole model accuracy effort has led me to believe
that the change must come from the inside out, i.e. from SI engineers
convincing their management and purchasing organizations that good model
data are ESSENTIAL to designing reliable systems. Then purchasing can
start writing this into contracts. I also believe that clear, solid
technical communication - both written and verbal - is a key element.
Unfortunately, it seems that real change rarely happens until after some
catastrophe has already struck.

Greg Edlund
Advisory Engineer, Critical Net Analysis
IBM
3650 Hwy. 52 N, Dept. HDC
Rochester, MN 55901