Re: [SI-LIST] : Daisy-Chain

From: S. Weir ([email protected])
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 00:47:45 PST

KT,

If you require a monotonic waveform at all loads, because this is some
clock or other strobe, then you must:

1. Have a driver with an impedance that is low compared to the
characteristic Z of the line.
2. Be free of excessive lumped capacitance on the line, especially in the
middle.
3. End terminate the line by a method that is acceptable for the trace
length, and driver:
         a. Resistor to Vtt
         b. Thevenin equivalent of resistor to Vtt.
         c. AC termination.
         d. Parallel termination to ground

A, b, and d all depend on how much power you can pump out of your driver.
The AC termination method works if the line is not long compared to the
minimum pulse duration.

It sounds as though your simulation is set with a strong driver, and heavy
capacitive load at point 2). If your routing puts a number of the loads
close to each-other, place them close to the end with the terminator.

Regards,

Steve.