Re: [SI-LIST] : Fast edges with limited plane capacitance

From: Vinu Arumugham ([email protected])
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 17:53:21 PST

Larry Smith wrote:

> Boy, I would not count on high power distribution impedance to slow
> down my edge rates. The edge rate would then be dependent on how many
> signals decided to switch at once. Timing would be a nightmare, not to
> mention SSN problems.

As I had mentioned before, S-G-S-S-P-S is not for designs where timing is critical. If timing were critical, one would probably go for a higher layer count board.

A higher PDS impedance would *reduce* SSN problems because the device would see ~n*Zpds where n is the no. of switching outputs, further reducing the edge rate.

And since not every design has a GHz system clock, a higher PDS impedance may have applications.

The following corollary may apply to SI/EMI:

Things should be made as slow as possible, never slower....