Re : [SI-LIST] : Bad IBIS models!

From: Chris Cheng ([email protected])
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 15:21:23 PST

if you see my name, you should know what's coming. i think customers of si
models often make two bad assumptions :
a) ibis, in any form, correctly done or incorrectly done, is good
enough for si analysis
b) the person who generate the models, spice or ibis, know what they
are doing

my opinion on a) is depending on whether you are doing mickey mouse stuff or
not.
on the other hand my observation on b) is not too encouraging. most of the
time reference models are generated by tech marketing or non-circuit
designing people who is not particularly savvy in si or circuit design
issues. i/o designers rarely bordered to translate or generate ibis models
and support it. reference models can be done right with a very low budget. i
have always use the approach of "eat your own dog food" in my design team,
ie you design your own systems with your reference model. on the flip side,
i have seen people using their junk ibis model designing their own systems
and end up laterally eating dog sh__. reviewing your models with your
customers is also very important. i have reviewed my reference models with
every single customers who are going to use it (great to review models with
customers in paris :-)). and SURPRISE, everyone loves spice.
chris