Re: [SI-LIST] : A basic question

From: amit agrawal ([email protected])
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 11:53:25 PST

In ideal situation, the progation delay is strictly dependent on Er. The
proagation delay is given by

   tau = sqrt(Er)/30 ns/cm

This is also equal to sqrt (LC)(Note: this condition is true only when C
does not include the fringe field effect)

When we use any EM tool to calculate the transmission line L and C per unit
length, the capacitance may include the fringe field effect. In that case,
the effective propagation delay is always more than the ideal propagation
delay.

   tau(effective) = tau(ideal) + delta due to fringe-field

The fringe field effect can vary with the geometry of the line.

In reference to characteristic impedance, the ideal characteristic impedance
is sqrt (L/C), where C is fringe-field-free. This can also be expressed in
terms of ideal propagation delay as

Zo (ideal) = tau (ideal)/C

C depends on the geometry of the line for a given Er.

Thus, if the Er is fixed, the capacitance and impedance can be changed by
changing the geometry of the line.

The capacitance, C calculated from EM tools is not fringe-field-free, hence
the characteristic impedance is no longer ideal> we can refer it as
Zo(effective). Note that Zo(effective) will always be smaller than the
Zo(ideal).

I hope this should answer your question.

Amit Agrawal
Lightsand Communications