Re: [SI-LIST] : Bad IBIS models!

From: Kim Helliwell ([email protected])
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 09:50:02 PST

Brian Young wrote:

> Do you know of any hard (or reasonably hard) data to show how
> sales might be affected? For example, a product line that
> historically used a particular vendor's chips that was switched
> to another vendor in large part due to IBIS model availability?
>
> To me, this kind of data seems impossible to come by, but if
> I'm wrong I would like to know. Or, I would be interested to
> know if there is a better question to ask or if better data
> are available.

I don't know that there is anything so direct available. But a number
of people on this list have stated that their companies make the
availability of correct simulation models a condition of any
contract for parts. This certainly suggests that sales can be
affected by the availability of IBIS models.

Obviously, this works better if the buy is a large one. But I would
expect the cumulative effect of many smaller companies demanding
IBIS models for parts would eventually move even the largest supplier
in the right direction.

--
Kim Helliwell
Senior CAE Engineer