Re: [SI-LIST] : Bad IBIS models!

From: Kim Helliwell (
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 09:50:02 PST

Brian Young wrote:

> Do you know of any hard (or reasonably hard) data to show how
> sales might be affected? For example, a product line that
> historically used a particular vendor's chips that was switched
> to another vendor in large part due to IBIS model availability?
> To me, this kind of data seems impossible to come by, but if
> I'm wrong I would like to know. Or, I would be interested to
> know if there is a better question to ask or if better data
> are available.

I don't know that there is anything so direct available. But a number
of people on this list have stated that their companies make the
availability of correct simulation models a condition of any
contract for parts. This certainly suggests that sales can be
affected by the availability of IBIS models.

Obviously, this works better if the buy is a large one. But I would
expect the cumulative effect of many smaller companies demanding
IBIS models for parts would eventually move even the largest supplier
in the right direction.

Kim Helliwell
Senior CAE Engineer
Acuson Corporation