RE: [SI-LIST] : trace width for clock routing- wider/narrower?

From: Weber Chuang ([email protected])
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 18:34:07 PST

Hi all,

  I think John's question resides in that should 5 mils or 6 mils or maybe
8mils or 12 mils of trace width should be used, since we all know that
coupling is in inverse proportion(to some order) to the trace spacing,
especially in the PC platform design today, the clock generator usually
shows a Rout of about 30~40 Ohm, and to match the impedance , a trace width
of 8~15 mils should be used, or a series resistor(maybe 10~33 Ohm) has to be
used, why such a contradiction exists? For better real estate efficiency, 5
mils trace is the most popular one, yet the Rout is so low that we might
need to use series termination? Here I want to summarize my question also
and may have your kind and valuable comment and help.
1. will a wider trace cause more EMI issue than a narrower trace with a
series term if the Rout is small? (Assume that the return path is good).
2. If the return path is somewhat ruined because there are so many power
level in the PC design today, then which one would be impacted more than the
other one? I mean in SI regard and EMI regard.

  Best Regards
    Weber Chuang( ²ø´º²e)
 Signal & Timing Integrity Engineer,
 VIA Technologies, Inc. Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
 TEL : 886-2-22185452 ext : 6522
  mailto:[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
  http://www.via.com.tw <http://www.via.com.tw/>
 Very Innovative Architecture