Re: [SI-LIST] : tracking/oversampling PLL architectures

From: David Instone (
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 01:56:24 PST

I believe these terms refer to the means of deserializing serial bit

  In the tracking PLL design a pll is used to provide a local bit rate
clock which tracks varations in the mean bitrate of the incoming bit

In the oversampling PLL, which technically isn't a pll, a local and
relativly stable clock is used to sample the incoming bitstream several
times during each bit period. Logic then determines on a bit by bit
basis which of the several samples is the one to be used. You don't
actually have to have a local clock that is many times the frequency of
the bit rate, just generate several phases of a clock at the bit rate.

Ooi, Thien Ern wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm looking for information on the difference between tracking, and
> oversampling PLL architectures. Specifically, what do those terms mean, and
> whether they are mutually exclusive.
> Does anyone know where I can find information on this?
> (This may not be the most appropriate mailing list, I realize)
> Thanks in advance,
> Thien Ern Ooi
> Intel Corp.

Dave Instone. Compliance Engineer Test Systems, MP24/22 Xyratex, Langstone Rd., Havant, Hampshire, P09 1SA, UK. Tel: +44 (0)23-92-496862 (direct line) Fax: +44 (0)23-92-496014 Tel: +44 (0)23-92-486363