Re: [SI-LIST] : why .062?

From: rbishop ([email protected])
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 07:32:44 PST

    Tony makes a good point.... we tend to get wrapped up in the "electrical" concerns of current designs, but there are still some definite mechanical issues to be aware of out there in the physical
world.

    I know I put my various personal electronic units (everything from cellphone to handhelp pc to laptop) through enough "unplanned" shock tests...!
RonB

"Cusanelli, Tony" wrote:

> A few people asked for the "old guys" to comment on why boards are .062.
> Back in the dark ages (30 yrs ago) the boards I first designed were merely
> mechanical devices that supported parts. Connectivity was accomplished via
> wire-wrap. Parts were heavy and boards had to be thick enough to prevent
> breakage, but thin enough to carry. 1/16 inch became the right compromise
> and card guides, standard socket boards and chassis were all designed to fit
> that thickness.
>
> Even with today's lighter parts, tracks are thin and need some support.
> .032 boards are okay if they are small. Flexing and the pressure from
> connector insertion/extraction will fracture thin traces.
>
> PS - for you young guys - wire wrap was accomplished with a device similar
> to a hollow drill bit that would wrap 6-8 turns of 30 awg wire around a
> square or rectangular post. The edges would bite into the wire and make a
> gas-tight connection that was tested with a pull device (strain gauge). We
> had some PC boards, but they were mostly 2 and four layer. Draftsmen just
> could not lay out a board as fast as I could write a wirelist for the wiring
> machine.
>
> Yes now I feel like a dinosaur.
>
> Tony

Ron Bishop-High Speed/SI Tech. Mktg. Eng.
Mentor Graphics Corporation                     | Email:  [email protected]
Board Systems Division                             | Phone: (503) 685-1992
8005 S.W. Boeckman Road;Bld.E-3164    | Fax:   (503) 685-4897
Wilsonville, OR 97070-7777
http://www.mentor.com
"If you think you're a man of influence,
   try ordering another man's dog around..."