Re: [SI-LIST] : SpectraQuest vs XTK

From: Todd Westerhoff ([email protected])
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 07:47:36 PST

Hi all,

No vendor comments, I promise.

I'm just writing to point out that SPECCTRAQuest is compliant with IBIS 3.2, as of the 13.6.41 release.
This IBIS 3.2 implementation has been successfully validated with third party models.

Todd.

At 04:31 PM 3/6/2000 +0900, you wrote:
>Hi Shannon,
>
>I'm using both XTK for about 5 years and SPECCTRAQuest for 3 years.
> >From my experience, I don't recommend to use SPECCTRAQuest.
>
>However SPECCTRAQuest has good-looking GUI, for the complication of the
>menus and the lacking of manuals and document, it is very difficult to
>become skilled in the use of it.
>Also it is not perfect to support some complex IBIS models, which were
>converted to their unique device models (DML) by "ibis2signoise" utility.
>It is hard to read or manage with DMLs, because there is no
>understandable discription for them.
>But there are some pros. on SPECCTRAQuest. The function of
>back-/forward- annotation with Concept and Allegro will be useful. If
>you had changed your design on Allegro, you can simulate to verify and
>apply changes to your schematic with only a slight operation. (If you
>have no trouble with modeling...)
>
>To use XTK, you need to study some programming-like model-making. For
>the help of good documentation, it is rather easy to understand. If you
>came up against any trouble, you can investigate the text-based
>databases to solve it.
>XTK , by contrast, has no returnable function to schematic or layout
>entry tools. You need to reflect your analysis result by manually.
>
>There are some another solution (such as ICX) you may consider.
>
>//// /// // / / / / / / / / / /
>Tadashi Arai//Platform Developing Dept.,Desktop Prd Div. Fujitsu Limited
>[email protected] TEL:+81-42-370-7617 Inagi-shi, Tokyo, Japan
>/ / / / / / / / / / / // ///
>On Sun, 5 Mar 2000 00:15:28 -0700
>Mail from [email protected] described as below:

> > As part of an acquisition requirement, we are changing our design tools. Our
> > designs are high density, high speed digital 33Mhz to 1GHz. We are changing
> > PCB layout to Allegro from Cadence. We are also changing schematic entry to
> > either Cadence HDL or ViewLogic ViewDraw. The Cadence tool of choice for SI
> > simulation seems to be SpectraQuest while ViewLogic's tool is XTK. I have
> > heard positive reviews for XTK on this forum but never SpectraQuest. Has
> > anyone out there successfully used the SpectraQuest tool? Can someone give me
> > a comparison of the two tools and/or their capabilities? Can anyone speak to
> > the specific advantages of XTK bundled with ViewLogic vs using XTK with
> > Cadence HDL? Does anyone have statistics for the number of XTK seats vs
> > SpectraQuest seats in the industry?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Shannon Roseman
> > Senior Hardware Engineer
> > Compatible Systems

> > ****

>****

    Todd Westerhoff
    Product Marketing Director | High Speed Systems Design | Performance Engineering
    Cadence Design Systems | 270 Billerica Road | Chelmsford, MA 01824

    ph: (978) 262-6327
    fx: (978) 446-6798
    email: [email protected]
    internal information website: http://www-ma.cadence.com/~toddw